Hammer on the Civil Rights Museum unanswered questions and structure

"...the city has rebutted Hayes-Greene’s statements in a follow-up letter and then asked that the questions be answered...

...the first question Hayes addressed was question 5 from Westmoreland’s letter.  The city’s last letter to the museum had skipped from the first to the fifth question, as city officials apparently considered questions 2 through 4 answered.  But question 1, which went unanswered, was one of the two most important questions in his March 11 letter – the one about the relationship of the multiple LLCs.

Despite Westmoreland providing a flowchart to show what one was, the museum did not provide such a flowchart...

...Some LLCs are responsible for the museum’s debt, others aren’t.

...Sit-In Movement Inc. is one of the five companies that make up the museum.  The other four are Civil Rights Museum LLC, ICRCM LLC, Museum Tenant LLC and Museum Landlord LLC.

...Sit-In Movement Inc. does not own the building.  According to Guilford County tax records, the building is owned by Museum Landlord LLC.  The North Carolina secretary of state’s office lists former Guilford County Commissioner Skip Alston as its manager and agent of this for-profit corporation.

Alston has said the owners of Museum Landlord LLC are Alston, Greensboro attorney and Sit-in Movement LLC board member Doug Harris, retired Vice President of Community Relations for WFMY-TV Shirley Frye, Smith Moore Leatherwood attorney Carole Bruce and former President and current adviser to the Weaver Foundation Skip Moore.

Matheny, however, said that Frye, Bruce and Moore have withdrawn from the LLC, which leaves Alston and Harris.

Alston is also listed as the agent and manager for Museum Tenant LLC and Civil Rights Museum LLC, and the agent for Sit-In Movement LLC and ICRCM LLC.

Of the five LLC’s, only one lists more than one company official.  ICRCM LLC lists five managers: Alston, former City Councilmember and state House Rep. Earl Jones, City Councilmember Yvonne Johnson, Robert Brown and Harris.  Johnson said she has never been to company meeting.

Sit-in Movement LLC was incorporated in 1993 by Alston and Jones.

...Both Museum Landlord LLC and Museum Tenant LLC are controlled by their managing member, ICRCM LLC.

ICRCM LLC is the managing member and owns 80 percent of Museum Landlord LLC.  Another 10 percent of Museum Landlord LLC is owned by Museum Tenant LLC.  The remaining 10 percent ownership stake in Museum Landlord LLC is owned by Stonehenge Community Develop LLC, which manages the investments of investors who got new markets tax credits for investing in the museum.

ICRCM LLC is the managing member of Museum Tenant LLC, but only owns 0.01 percent of it.  The other 99.99 percent of Museum Tenant LLC is owned by Community Historic Credit Fund LLC, which apparently represents investors who got historic tax credits for investing in the museum.

...Museum Landlord LLC subleases aspects of the museum to Museum Tenant LLC, Civil Rights Museum LLC and Sit-in Movement Inc., which rents the second floor of the building.

The LLCs also owe each other money.

...Hayes-Greene claimed that the city had been provided with checks and other financial documents that haven’t been made public.

Greensboro Assistant City Manager Mary Vigue said that former Greensboro City Attorney Mujeeb Shah-Khan and a city paralegal may have seen other documents that have not been made public, but that she knows of no one else in the city who has.

“I’m not sure exactly what he looked at,” she said of Shah-Khan.  “But as far as what the city has asked for, we have made everything available..."


No comments: