4/2/13

On not accepting political campaign donations


I have taught financial ethics to CPAs and Attorneys for 10 years;

In the past few days, I have spoken to many contributors to Greensboro City Council political campaigns.

What I found after I made it clear that I am not accepting contributions, is that some contributors who've done business with Greensboro's political infrastructure, which includes City Council Member appointed boards, have been solicited by some Council Members for "donations" to their political campaigns.

I believe hustling money out of folks who've done business with the city is ethically inappropriate.

There is also a significant record of Council Members accepting contributions from some with business pending before council.

I believe hustling money out of folks who want to do business with the city is worse than hitting the former up for campaign cash.

Both asking for donations from those who have or are about to do business with the city is legal.

I would like Greensboro's City Council to approve the following language to prohibit this clearly unethical behavior;

"Current City of Greensboro Council Members and Candidates for local elected office are prohibited from accepting campaign contributions from board members of organizations, developers, contractors or their lawyers or agents, who have or may receive taxpayer funded contracts or monies, for 12 months before and after doing business with Greensboro’s government."

No comments: