12/12/10

Religious and Rhetorical Ethics: Adolf Hitler

Is demeaning rhetoric bigoted if verbs and/or adjectives describing multiple nouns are interchangeable with dissimilar multiples of nouns?


 


My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter.


 


 It points me to the man who once in loneliness,


 surrounded by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were,


 and summoned men to fight against them


 and who God's truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter.


 


 In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in His might and seized the scourge


 to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and adders.


 


 How terrific was His fight for the world against the Jewish poison.


 


To-day, after two thousand years, with deepest emotion,


I recognize more profoundly than ever before the fact that it was for this


 that He had to shed His blood upon the Cross.


 


 As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated


 but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice...


 


For as a Christian I have also a duty to my own people.


 


Adolf Hitler, April 12, 1922


 


Can Muslim and Hindu replace Christian and Jew?


 


How about Hutu and Tutsi, Black or White, or politically Left or Right?

No comments: